Improve Lives and Advance Social Justice
AU Connected offers the online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Antioch University New England that will teach you how to make a positive impact on those who need your help the most. This online counseling degree program prepares you to work as a professional counselor to promote mental health, well-being and social justice for a diverse, multicultural and global community.
Our online counseling degree program gives you access to an education beyond the limits of the physical classroom and includes online courses and intensive residential colloquium. It includes experiential learning in fieldwork that is focused on the development of your professional identity and encourages an active, thorough, and continued examination of your development in the role of a professional counselor.
This three-year counseling graduate program will ready you to channel your passion for helping others into a meaningful career as a mental health counselor. You will gain the skills to help people address the personal, family, and social issues that interfere with their abilities to lead healthy and productive lives.
You will graduate ready to work as a clinical mental health counselor in a variety of counseling settings and roles, including
- Community agencies
- Substance abuse and addictions treatment
- In-patient treatment
- Counseling military service personnel and their families
- College counseling centers
Our Clinical Mental Health Counseling graduate program offers an optional Substance Abuse and Addictions Counseling (SAAC) concentration.
Students also have the opportunity to pursue an area of focus in Counseling Military Service Personnel and their Families (MSPF).
- Substance Abuse and Addictions Counseling (SAAC). Through courses in addictions and psychopharmacology and an internship in an addictions counseling setting, you will complete most academic requirements for certification as a drug and alcohol counselor.
- Counseling Military Service Personnel and their Families (MSPF). You will train to help service personnel and their families address post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, substance abuse, depression, and family and work problems related to military deployment. You will learn skills to enhance resilience and help service members and their families build on their strengths.
Learn By Doing
Antioch University’s experiential program is taught by a faculty of professionals who are active in clinical practice and committed to your professional success. As you complete your counseling degree online, you will attend two intensive residential colloquia to develop interpersonal and group skills. You will fine-tune your skills through supervised counseling work that includes a one-semester practicum and three semesters of internship experiences.
This program is distinctive among online counseling degrees in its complete exploration of mental health, beyond mental illness. Through your coursework and field experiences, you will also examine the greater system to understand the socioeconomic factors that can affect mental health.
Pursue an Education That Fits Your Life
We have designed this counseling degree to provide the programmatic excellence of our on-campus program in a convenient online format. The program includes
- Sixty credit hours of study that can typically be completed in three years
- Your option to begin at three different times of the year
- Online coursework and supervised practicum in your second year
- Two week-long required intensive residential colloquia
- Internship fieldwork and web-based faculty supervision in your third year
- A choice of a clinical setting in your community for your practicum and internship
- The option to attend classes full or part-time
Prepare for Licensure
Your counseling degree will build your competency in eight core areas, as recommended by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP):
- Professional orientation and ethical practice
- Social and cultural diversity
- Human growth and development
- Career development
- Helping relationships
- Group work
- Research and program evaluation
You will graduate academically prepared to write national professional exams and apply for licensure as a clinical mental health counselor. Post-degree supervised practice is required by most states. Students are advised to check their state licensure board's requirements before beginning the program. See the National Board for Certified Counselors for information on this process.
Antioch University’s online MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree will meet your educational requirements for licensure as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor or a Licensed Professional Counselor in most states. Since these requirements vary, students are responsible for knowing these requirements and working with their advisor to meet them.